***Before I get started on my post, I just want to take a quick moment to make sure you've checked out Kimberly's post, which has a fantastic list of writer conferences in 2014, as well as an ARC giveaway of the highly anticipated Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith!***
For the past two years, I've participated in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I haven't hit my goal yet. But this year, on top of my Goodreads goal, I'm also participating in a 2014 Challenge with my younger brother, who shall hereby be referred to as Sunshine. For anyone who has a brother--or a sister, for that matter--you know how big a deal this is.
So here are the rules, in no particular order:
- Books must be added to and tracked on Goodreads to count, with a special 2014 Challenge shelf.
- Books must be published (so my critiquing doesn't count, nor do my read-throughs of my own drafts).
- Only novels count toward the total read (no non-fiction, comics, graphic novels, etc.).
- Every two audiobooks listened to equals one book read.
- Only one book started before January 1, 2014 counts toward the total for 2014 (for me, this was Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, started December 30th).
- Revamped books will only count if added to the 2014 Challenge shelf.
Simple enough, right? So far I think Sunshine is winning. But there are some books from 2013 or books being released in 2014 that I'm pretty excited about. I'm fairly confident my anticipation will help me pull this off.
Books I still want to read from 2013:
- Champion by Marie Lu.
- The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater.
- Allegiant by Veronica Roth.
- Deception by CJ Redwine.
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.
- City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. Enough said.
- Veronica Mars by Rob Thomas. In case you didn't already know about this, you're welcome.
- Breakable by Tammara Webber. If you haven't met Lucas yet (Easy), YOU MUST!
- The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings.
- Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few books and I'm sure many others will be picked up too. In any case, Sunshine is going down.
Are you participating in any reading challenges this year? What books are you most excited about in 2014?