Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Plea to Help in a Fight Against a Creative Soul Sucking Evil

I move to DC in fifty-six days. This isn't a huge deal, as I move a lot, but it is a huge deal because one thing I don't do well is transition. That's odd to say, considering my whole life since 2009 has been one really long transition. But it's true. I'm a creature of habit and when you take the creature out of the comforts of the habit, the creature doesn't really know how to respond. Especially when it comes to writing.

When I moved into my current apartment, I didn't write for two months. I read--a lot--but I didn't write. And now, with that number looming over my head, I'm already starting to feel the anxiety and disgruntlement of transitioning. 

"But Danielle," you say, "you aren't moving for fifty-six days. You shouldn't be stuck in transition-mode already." Ah! I say to you, you're correct. However, I move everything I own save my computer, my nook and a suitcase full of clothes to DC in twenty-four measly days. Twenty-four days. And in that time I have so much to do. Edits, reading, packing--and then once I do move I have BEA and couch surfing for three weeks since I'm not going to be in my apartment. And job searching! Oh, job searching. 

Needless to say: my time in those fifty-six days is filling up. And already, already, I find myself plagued with that soul sucking evil called "transition." Nah, not soul-sucking as much as creativity sucking. I have opened my Scrivener document countless times in the last week, countless. Do you know how many words I've written? That answer is like countless, as it is zero. (just go with it)

In this post today, lovely blogging friends, I do not offer an opinion or a thought or anything that could be construed as something aside from a plea. And my plea is this: How do I write in a transition? 

The thought of not writing another scene for sixty days is terrifying. But I also can't seem to clear my mind of all the things that are crowding it, all the things I need to do, want to do, look forward to doing. It's hard to be in the moment enough, to not worry or hope or wonder, and be able to write. I'm not making up excuses either. I'm enough of a restless, nomadic soul without being in the midst of a major transition. I don't want to lose sixty days on my WIP either. That's a lot of time.

Am I the only one unable to write while life is transitioning? Do you have any ideas for me and how I can combat this evil? Any small steps or exercises or ways to focus on my story and not on my life? I'm totally open to anything. Let's make this a war, because I really don't want to be stuck for so much time. 



1 comment:

  1. I feel for you!! At last count, I think I've moved 32 times in my life :P *ugh* ... BUT, maybe this will help turn the transition into productivity:
    Instead of *stressing* over the WIP - forget actually sitting down at the PC to write, instead scatter a few notebooks w/pens here and there so that you can jot down whatever tidbits/power words/scenes that *pop* into your head while you're physically occupied with the moving tasks.
    I don't know about you, but it's often that while I'm involved in some mundane, annoying chore that my mind is creatively daydreaming about some writing inspiration. At least with the notepads & pens, you can catch any inspirations that come to mind WITHOUT deviating from the non-negotiable task of moving.
    If this makes sense lol :)

    ReplyDelete