Thursday, October 24, 2013

Love & triumph

This month’s topic is OTPs – our favourite One True Pairings. Looking at my list, I noticed they have one thing in common - conflict. Either they don't get on AT ALL to begin with, or major obstacles get in the way of the two characters being together. Romance can add tension and conflict to a story if done right, because you want the characters to succeed and get together against all the odds - that's what makes it exciting!

So, here's my list:

Sophie and Howl (Howl's Moving Castle) - this is one of my favourite books of all time, and Sophie and Howl are hilarious because at first, they absolutely hate each other! Sophie gets cursed and turned into an old woman, and goes to the castle of the infamous Wizard Howl because there's literally no other option left. She then completely upturns Howl's life and causes absolute havoc, and the result is a relationship that seems completely believable, and when they finally get together in the end, it's like "YES! I told you so!". Both characters are flawed, but realistic - and that's a good thing!

 


Jace and Clary (The Mortal Instruments) - I don't think I need to say much here, except that it's sometimes painful to read the moments of attraction between two people who CAN'T be together - and, well, I don't want to spoil it. But the last few chapters of City of Glass - well, call me cliche, but talk about an emotional roller coaster!



Meghan and Ash (The Iron Fey) - Wow. Well, the odds are against these two from the start. She's a half-mortal, half-summer faery, whilst he's prince of the Winter Court. And, of course, there's a certain Robin Goodfellow around. But...again, I can't say much due to spoilers. But if you want an intense, emotionally wrenching romance...read these books.



How about you? What are your favourite fictional couples who fight the odds to be together?

 photo 50565a9b-bd0f-4ae6-a77d-7aa0d3ec3cca_zps58c64d47.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment