Thursday, February 9, 2012

Confidence: The Ultimate WIP Killer


You may not agree, but for me, the ultimate killer of a WIP is confidence. Lacking confidence can destroy a manuscript before it even gets written. Before I began writing my first official WIP, I had plenty of ideas, but lacked the confidence to write them.

Sure, I masked the lack of confidence with other excuses like, "I don't have enough time to write" and "I don't really want to be an author", but in the end it all comes back to confidence. I didn't have any. I didn't believe in myself or my ability to tell a story. I made up reasons for why I could never be a writer and almost believed it. It wasn't until my husband gave me a little nudge that I finally realized that I'd never know unless I tried.

Turns out I just needed confidence. Huh. Who knew?

So when you are writing and hit that brick wall and step away from your WIP for a day or two or even a month, don't let yourself believe the inner doubt. You can do it. It's not easy, but it'll be worth it.

And you know what they say, right? Fake it until you make it.

Happy Writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment